Friday, November 20, 2009

How far back should I list previous employment on a resume?

I am starting a job search after being employed in my degree field for 5 years. My current job is the first job I have held in my degree field, but I was employed at 3 previous companies while in high school and college. My first job was 13 years ago. So how far back should I list my previous employment? I'm not sure if anyone at my first job would even remember me if contacted (I don't think most people I worked under are even employed there anymore). Thanks everyone, the more advice the better! :)

How far back should I list previous employment on a resume?
Often it is suggested to list 10 years of employment or the past three positions. If you have long term employment with your past employers, even though they are 10 yers old, list them. Employers love long term employees at an interview, so you will be fine to list prior positions.


Also, if your prior jobs evn remotely involved supervision, related work, or team work, list them.
Reply:Ten years is correct. Be sure to do a little research beforehand so you can go in and say "Maria Smith was my supervisor in 1999, but she is no longer there. However, Marvin Harris is in charge of the department now, and he was one of my co-workers." or "Maria Smith is no longer there, but the CEO is still Mark Harris and he knows me."

buck teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment