Monday, April 26, 2010

What do you do when a prior employer jeopardizes your chance for new employment by a negative reference?

Being considerd for employment in Oregon and while doing my background check a prior employer was negative in saying I was not elgible for rehire. Background is I relocated from the midwest to Arizona for a management position with a paper company. Several months after employment the company went through a firing blitz %26amp; the new manager from day one was biased making comments about my age and pay and from the start I could not do anything right. He also offered to let me out of my relocation contract worth 20K + if I would quit. The employment ended for me three months later with his decision to move in another direction of team building and giving me several weeks pay after 8-9 months of employment, I was never counseled, written up or given any discipline. Now a possible employer came back saying the HR mngr said i was not rehireable. This companys policy has always been to only verify dates of employment and title. Now prospective employer feels I may have done something wrong.

What do you do when a prior employer jeopardizes your chance for new employment by a negative reference?
Get a lawyer to write a threatening letter to the old employee. If you can document the fact that you got severance pay, that would go a long way toward proving that you were not fired for wrongdoing.





If you don't get a lawyer, you may find yourself managing the grill at McDonald's.
Reply:There is NOTHING you can do about it. If a potential employer asks about it, just tell them honestly what happened. Otherwise, deal with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment